August 24, 2009

In The Beginning

I know I promised nursery pictures this time but I figured I had to start at the beginning. So, in the beginning....It was December of 2008 when Randy finally gave me the go-ahead to stop taking my birth control pills. (He originally wanted to wait 7 years after we were married but that would have put us at 35 and 31 and I felt that was a little late for us.) To be honest, we weren't too eager about giving up our lives with each other but I was nervous about the thought of not being able to get pregnant, my 30th birthday looming, the possibility of going through the infertility process, yada yada yada. Well, I should have known better. Randy is one of four, I'm one of six, my family's got twins and triplets in the mix....no fertility problems in our DNA!

And so here we were six weeks later and I was pregnant all by mid-February. I warned Randy that I was late and to prepare himself for the possibility that I might be pregnant...he was calm and collected as usual. Meanwhile, I was terrified. I bought a few tests and took one first thing Monday morning. I don't think I slept a bit that night. Randy went to work, I got up took the test, and it was positive. I was in shock. I managed to make it through work all day with my little secret and didn't breathe a word to anyone. I wanted Randy to be the first to know and I knew calling him at work would not be the most appropriate time. So I went to Babies R Us that night and found this cute little Rockstar-looking-onesie that says "Born in 2009" and wrapped it up for him. When he opened it, he just looked at me and our conversation went like this:

"Is this for us?" (Two of our close friends were pregnant at the time.)

Me looking busy folding laundry awaiting his reaction, "Yep."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Why do you look so scared, honey?"

"Because I"m going to get big and fat and have to push a baby out of me...and I'll never get to sleep again."

"Oh sweetie, that's not true. We can sleep when we're grandparents."

So there we were standing in our kitchen together ....very scared but very excited.

The next morning I took another test with Randy as my witness...just to be sure. (Girls, if you've never taken a pregnancy test before, you need to know this: Most instructions say when you see a second line, the test is positive. Well what they don't say is how big of a line? Should it be really dark like in the picture? What if it's ever so faint? Am I imagining something that's not there? The box needs a disclaimer that says: If you're taking this for the first time, don't overanalyze the quality of the little pink line. If you see anything at all, and we mean anything, you're pregnant.)

I tried to take a picture of our there's-a-little-baby-coming omen but made a video by accident. Here's our reaction to test #2.

No comments: